Thursday, October 28, 2010

It has started - mess, asbestos, the juggle and more

I can't believe I haven't been online since Sunday, the last 24 hours I have had stomach virus (just starting to feel better though very shaky), my little boy has been sick and we have had builders here, it has been a bit of a juggle to say the least.

Looking from the bathroom through the WIR to the main bedroom

The week has been exciting, messy, exhausting and unsettling for the kids, all part of living in a house being renovated. Since 8am Monday we have had builders in our house and our bathroom has been fully demolished, the frame for the walk in robe has been built and last but definitely not least we had some asbestos removed yesterday, which has already added an unexpected cost.

The carpenter discovered the asbestos 10am Monday morning in the lino and bath caddy. Fairly common in houses of the age of ours (built in 1950s), but not a nice feeling all the same. At least in this instance there is only a small amount so they could continue working on other things around it.

So yesterday morning the asbestos guys rocked up and of course we had to be out of the house. Normally this wouldn't be an issue as both Hubby and I work in the City on Wednesdays and the kids go to crèche but our poor little boy was sick so we had to quickly find somewhere for my hubby to take him for the day. So good to have friends near by at times like this (the same friends who are letting us have a shower at their place).

For me though Monday was the hardest and surprisingly, even though I didn't do any of that full on physical work I was exhausted and developed a bad headache. Probably because of all the dust (though have managed to block the area off well), the anticipation and looking after the kids , who were initially very excited and wanted to watch, but got upset as the day went on. My daughter particularly freaked out when she saw the ceiling missing.

So at the end of the day we all collapsed and for the last three nights we have ended up letting my daughter sleep on the sofa bed with me while Hubby slept in her bed in the same room as our son - the hallway is in no condition for night time wanderings which my daughter is in the habit of at the moment.

Even with this, all the mess (which nothing can prepare you for) and trying to get the kids out of the house as much as possible, I am still loving it at this early stage. The guys are friendly and I enjoy seeing how it is all done.


  1. Sounds like a tough week...hang in there it will be worth it. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

  2. You are very brave...hope all goes well for you and your lovely family but I'm sure the pain will be worth it! X

  3. I hope your little man is feeling better. It will be a test but I am sure you guys will love it once everything is done. Glad to hear you have some lovely friends.
    BTW like th new blog layout too. Take care

  4. Oh god, I remember all that! Our first day started with a digger in the backyard and a demo saw (as loud as a jet) near the kitchen. I had the worst flu I'd had in years which meant I couldn't get out of bed for two days too! I hope you're all feeling better. It will be stressful, but getting out of the house is great. It's what we did as much as we could. Very exciting that it's all happening for you..Rachaelxx


Thanks for leaving a comment, I love reading them...


Related Posts with Thumbnails