Friday, January 14, 2011

A house with kids

I love to look at houses in magazines and there is always at least one in every issue of Home Beautiful or Real Living (my two favourites) that I think is close to perfect, a dream house and more often then not they are family homes with young children. So I wonder when the photo shoot is over how long does the house stay looking that way?


A friend recently posted the following on Facebook -
www.nytimes.comAdvocates are reaching out to parents, who are not always comfortable with the chaos and disarray caused by unstructured play.

And even though I am not a big fan of mess and like things just so, I love my kids making up games and setting up their imaginary Worlds, so much fun to watch. I often even leave it that way until the end of the day and then we have a big clean up (as long as my bench tops and dining table are clean I am happy).

These boxes bought from Go-Lo in the Christmas week are great for toys

So these photos of my house today, having fun and enjoying being with my kids. These are the things that make a house a home.

Drawing mermaids and fish in the mermaid cave underneath the dining table

5 comments:

  1. I love these pictures! I read something about unstructured play recently too, I've always been a big advocate of it. I remember all the games I dreamt up as a child and how much I loved playing them. I think it also helps them feel in control. They can play out situations they've been in but have it go their way! Have a great weekend of play..Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Georgy, I completely agree. Bron at Maxabella Loves recently wrote a post on the Over Styled Life (OSL) - that's what I think of when I see those photos. Or that children don't actually live there! J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting JAX does design - great to "meet" you :-)

    Whenever I take pics of a room in my house to post on my blog, what you don't see are the piles of stuff I've moved just out of camera range! So it's not long after I take the pics that the mess is right back! Plus I have a hard time taking pictures without a dog walking through the shot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have photos of our holidays and the Girls Only 8-10 years club and a structure made of towels, camping chairs and pegs, with my daughter, 2 nieces and 1 friend made at camping all happily tucked under and out of the sun. Too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think a toy exists as fun as a hide-out for the kids. Mine love them too, and I must say I still have fond memories of making them as a kid... and that's going back awhile now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, I love reading them...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails